Sunday, December 23, 2012

Pregnancy Symptoms

Early pregnancy has been different than I expected.  I'm in my 5th week, Day 5.  It's a wonderful feeling that I've been waiting for my entire life.  But it also comes with some downsides.  As much as it may sound like complaining, I'm more than happy to experience every one.

Tired
The only thing I really want to do is sleep or at least lie down.  When I'm not working, that's pretty much all I do.  Unfortunately at night, I sometimes am up for hours.  I've been watching a lot of movies in the middle of the night.

Body Temperature
I'm either freezing or too hot.  I wake in a pool of sweat every morning.  I have a low grade fever about once per day or so. Tylenol helps and I try to use it as little as possible.

Breathing
If I walk too far, I get short of breath and need to sit.  My poor dog is suffering mostly here.

Mild Cramping
I still feel mild cramping.  I don't mind this, as it feels like construction is going on.

Food Aversion/Craving
I don't have this bad.  I haven't really craved anything (more of an aversion because I usually crave lots).  When I do eat, I get full pretty fast.  I've had to make a point to eat enough.  Then, suddenly last night I had to have a chicken sandwich and fries from Burger King!  I couldn't  get it out of my mind.  I thought I would never sleep without it.  Luckily my tired symptoms won out and I never got myself out of bed.  :)

Pregnancy Brain
I scheduled by blood draws for my beta tests first thing in the morning so that I could stop by on my way to work.  The first time, I ended almost at work before I realized and then made 3 wrong turns on my way back to the lab.  Two days later, I made the same schedule and was so proud of myself when I got off the freeway and didn't do the auto drive to work only to find that I was at my acupuncturist.  :-/
The next day I was in a meeting and was asked a question that I definitely knew, but my mind went blank for a good 2 minutes.  I had to pretend like I wasn't feeling well, which was easy because I was starting to sweat.  That was embarrassing.  I've been calling a lot of people by the wrong name.  I really need my brain for work.  This one is going to be tough!

Worry
I don't think this is caused by pregnancy, but it definitely comes with it.  I can't wait for my first ultrasound.  It's on Friday afternoon.  Seeing my little bean and hearing a heartbeat will really calm my anxiousness.  Luckily there are many women who have already asked all of the questions I have online and many other woman that answer them that have been through the same thing and reassure all of us that everything is perfectly normal.  :)  But there is always that one that throws out the dreaded "M" word.  grrrrrr.

Symptoms I Don't Have
Nausea and breast tenderness, which brings me back to worry.  It may be a little early for the nausea, but I'll be shocked if I don't get it because I get car sick pretty easily.  I will feel very blessed if I don't!

Progesterone
My worst symptom isn't a pregnancy symptom at all.  It's still the impact of the progesterone shots.  My back is constantly swollen and extremely tender.  I'm already wearing maternity because a waistband is out of the question and it's still uncomfortable all the time.  I walk around like a 90 yo woman.  Occasionally, I accidentally hit the swollen area and let out a scream. My doctor wrote me a generic prescription for progesterone so that I can talk to my pharmacist on Monday to discuss alternatives to sesame oil.

Stress
Work was starting to get way too stressful.  It was looking like the holiday weeks were going to be two of my worst preparing for the new year.  But God stepped in just when it was too much to handle and postponed a few of my projects due to outside influences!  Now I actually get to enjoy the holidays (which means sleeping).  :)

Merry Christmas!



No comments:

Post a Comment