Wednesday, October 31, 2012

To rest or not to rest

Everything worked out and I'm on my way!  I started Lupron last week and have an ultrasound tomorrow morning to start Estrace.  If all goes well, my transfer is the Tuesday before Thanksgiving.  It's hard to believe this is really happening.   I do feel very prepared though.  I've been going to acupuncture for weeks, taking my herbs, eating mostly what I should.  Let's get this show on the road!

Now that I'm scheduling my trip, I need to make a decision about bed rest.  I've been to a few REs and they all have different philosophies.   The clinic I'm going to now doesn't really believe in bed rest because there are no studies that show that it has any impact.  But when I talk to my sister-in-law and one of my best friends, both who went through IVF and eventually succeeded  (my friend has done it 10 times and is now pregnant with twins, my brother and sister-in-law have 13 yr old triplets), they think that its not worth the risk and that I should lie flat on my back for 3 days minimum.  I thought I was being clever with my travel plans by staying at a nice hotel that is inside the airport so that I'm really close to the gate.  I even thought I would get a wheelchair.  Then I was going to fly back the day after the transfer.  But now after talking to them, I'm second guessing that plan and wondering if I should just stay.  The cost really adds up, but it's nothing compared to the emotional and financial impact of doing it yet again.  My gut tells me that taking it easy is good enough, but I don't want to look back and wonder if I should have done it differently.  I'll make my final decision tomorrow.

Luckily, a friend of mine, Erica, has volunteered to come with me.  That will make the week more bearable.  Plus, I'll be less likely to be getting up a lot.  Although, I feel very bad for her!  She's going to be bored out of her mind.

Less than 3 weeks and counting!

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Good News!

So, I've been waiting to post my good news because I thought I could combine with a projection of my timeline.  But, alas, there is more waiting.  The good news is that the egg donor was tested for the genetic deletion and she was clear!  So, both genetic parents are clear and this deletion is "de novo" and not a risk to the other embryos.  We are back on track!

The frustration I have is with the efficiency of the RE office.  I've worked with a few in my time, so I know that none are perfect.  However, this round is particularly frustrating.  And this is coming from someone who has gone all the way through the paperwork phase with a Russian adoption.  Sometimes I want to jump through the phone to introduce the concept of a checklist.  These are all the things that need to be done, so start working on them now.  Instead, each is given one at a time and the replies take several days or weeks and then a new step is introduced.  Really?  Is this the first time you've done this?  I'll give it one more week before I ask the donors to allow me to transfer the embryos to California.  It's been a very long road, but this last stretch is particularly difficult.  Lord, please give me patience!

IF we are able to get through this last (really the last?) step this week, then I can start my Lupron on Friday and I believe my transfer would be Thanksgiving week!  

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Still waiting, but hopeful!

Hoping to hear good news soon!  Thankfully, the anonymous egg donor agreed to the genetic test.  The results should be in sometime in the next 2 weeks.  If she comes back clear, Dr. K will release the hold and we're good to go!