Wednesday, October 31, 2012

To rest or not to rest

Everything worked out and I'm on my way!  I started Lupron last week and have an ultrasound tomorrow morning to start Estrace.  If all goes well, my transfer is the Tuesday before Thanksgiving.  It's hard to believe this is really happening.   I do feel very prepared though.  I've been going to acupuncture for weeks, taking my herbs, eating mostly what I should.  Let's get this show on the road!

Now that I'm scheduling my trip, I need to make a decision about bed rest.  I've been to a few REs and they all have different philosophies.   The clinic I'm going to now doesn't really believe in bed rest because there are no studies that show that it has any impact.  But when I talk to my sister-in-law and one of my best friends, both who went through IVF and eventually succeeded  (my friend has done it 10 times and is now pregnant with twins, my brother and sister-in-law have 13 yr old triplets), they think that its not worth the risk and that I should lie flat on my back for 3 days minimum.  I thought I was being clever with my travel plans by staying at a nice hotel that is inside the airport so that I'm really close to the gate.  I even thought I would get a wheelchair.  Then I was going to fly back the day after the transfer.  But now after talking to them, I'm second guessing that plan and wondering if I should just stay.  The cost really adds up, but it's nothing compared to the emotional and financial impact of doing it yet again.  My gut tells me that taking it easy is good enough, but I don't want to look back and wonder if I should have done it differently.  I'll make my final decision tomorrow.

Luckily, a friend of mine, Erica, has volunteered to come with me.  That will make the week more bearable.  Plus, I'll be less likely to be getting up a lot.  Although, I feel very bad for her!  She's going to be bored out of her mind.

Less than 3 weeks and counting!

5 comments:

  1. I'm going to do bed rest for two solid days.

    I had a "successful" IVF (we miscarried the twins at 8 and 10 weeks due to embryo quality... they had weak heart rates from the start) and then I only did one day of bed rest. It's better safe than sorry!

    Godspeed! It's neat to find someone going through this with such a close time frame :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did 24 hours of bed rest with my first FET and it was successful. My new RE wants about the same and that is what I will do.

    I also sounds like we will be cycle buddies! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Holy cow, you and I are in a similar situation....I did a search on embryo adoption and came across your blog. I am doing my FET with adopted embryos on Tuesday, and I will also be a single mom by choice! Good luck to you!!!!! (suzraff28@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck tomorrow! I'll be a week behind you. :)

      Delete